Sunday, November 27

Texting Disorders

Mobile Communication or "texting" is one of best way of communication to us people aside from the internet. Teenagers have been addicted to it (including me :D) because it feels like we are not alone or it feels like we are still part of the crowd whenever we text and receive replies from our friends, from people we admire and from textmates.
But being addicted to texting causes disorders which are quiet alarming. While surfing the internet (specially facebook :D) I found this texting disorders that quite frightened me.
One is the Textaphrenia, which happens when you think a message had arrived when it hadn't (I think I'm suffering this one?). Next is the Textiety, having an anxious feeling of not receiving or sending text messages (or maybe this one?). Then the Post-traumatic Text Disorder, which involves physical and mental injuries from texting, like walking into things while texting and even crossing a road without looking and having 'repetitive thumb syndrome' and thumbs growing because of texting leading to 'Monster Thumbs' (thank God I'm really not that addicted to texting, I don't have this one, yay! :D). And the Binge texting when teens send multiple texts to feel good about themselves and try to attract responses (haha! I'm not like this one!).
These are the reverse of anxiety - you think you've been left out of the loop so you send a lot of texts and wait for responses.
After reading and knowing these disorders, I'm quite afraid that I may be having these disorders and this should be a warning that I should take. I should minimize my texting habit because the more I am prone to texting, the more I get addicted to it, the closer I get to these disorders. And texting costs too much load (load = money . hehe :D).
The sooner I minimize the texting habit, the better :)

No comments:

Post a Comment