Saturday, October 15

as a Girl Scout

I've been a Girl Scout for almost 9 years, since I was in grade school. I have joined encampments, going to places away from home. I have learned how to make new friends, to mingle with other people. Fun activities, tiresome days and sleepless nights (busy talking with friends :D) during encampments, going to different places, meeting new people, these are some of the experiences I had as a Girl Scout.

I have never felt the true essence of scouting for I am also busy joining other activities in school and I am only active when encampment comes :). I never knew what scouting really is until last year, when I joined the Chief Girl Scout Medal Scheme (CGSMS). 

This is a project given to girl scouts interested enough to face the tasks and responsibilities by helping others through a 1 year community service. There are different categories and tasks concerning community service. My project was all about Health - "Help Children Grow" (Feeding Growth Monitoring). The goal is to lessen the malnutrition in the community if we can't eradicate it. All I have to do was to: (a) choose a community or a "purok", (b) talk to people who might be concerned of the project, (c) pick out children who will be beneficiaries of the said project, (d) conduct feeding sessions every Saturdays of the month, (e) conduct meetings to parents and purok officials, (f) make reports, (g) meet deadlines, (h) take pictures, (i) conduct lectures during feeding sessions, (j) ask for solicitations that could help the program and a lot more. Of course, I have my workgroup, my friends and my teacher to help me along the way.

During the process, it makes me sad to think of all the things I have to do. I am unable to do other school activities during Saturdays for I have to concentrate on the project I have. I'm also frustrated for in every session, the number of children attending are decreasing. I have to seek help from the parents and officials to encourage the children to come to sessions. But even though tired and frustrated, I'm still happy for there are some children who are eager to join during sessions and would listen attentively to my discussions. Whenever I would go and visit them, I can see the children with their smiles and would say "Ate Sweetzel!" which makes me smile and happy inside (naks :D).

I have felt how to be a true Girl scout through the community service. I knew how to be responsible and how to face people (I was a shy-type of person :) ). I knew what it feels like to help others through the kids.

Even though my parents are on abroad, I can still feel their support, their love to me and to my siblings. Without them, I won't be able to join the scheme which made me stronger and braver to face life's challenges.
And with God, I am able to have enough strength to continue my goals in life :)

These are some of the pictures taken during the Regional Evaluation of the said project.

my sister (eunice) & me
my teacher (Mrs. Ligaya Aspacio) & me


during the Regional Evaluation
I was asked on why am I deserving to receive the CGSMS award :)

Girl Scouts

the twins (I don't know who is Twinkle and who is Twinky )
they are the beneficiaries :)

the children beneficiaries with their parents :)

Luckily, I am one of the girl scouts who passed and will be receiving an award, the Chief Girl Scout Medal (yey !)

2 comments: